Summer Appeal 2021
Enter Blind Luck Raffle #2!
Take a chance to split the pot! Proceeds support The Sight Center mission!
- Starts August 17, 2021
- Ends October 31, 2021
Click the button below for complete details.
Road To Independence
Life can put up road blocks that force us to find a new way. When Bill Ludlow began losing his eyesight to macular degeneration, he didn’t want to find a new way.
This retired journeyman roofer was used to being independent, but a road block stopped him in his tracks. “I had failed the test at the BMV”, he said, “but my ego told me that I needed a license.”
Eventually Bill found his way to The Sight Center’s Low Vision Clinic where his new journey began.
The instruction he received was helpful and the gadgets useful, but it was a Sight Center support group that changed his direction.
Reflecting on his vision loss and the lesson he learned that day, Bill says, “Yes, it’s bad, but it could be worse.” Soon after, Bill sold his car, cancelled his insurance, and bought a fat-tire electric tricycle, which he now peddles around town.
“I love what The Sight Center’s done for me” he says. Bill’s advice for others is simple, “If you have a vision issue, they’re well prepared to address it here”, adding, ” I’ve had nothing but good come of it.”
So when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Or in the case of Bill Ludlow, when life puts up road blocks, find a new road to independence.
What Do You Really See?
This is a common question asked of people with a vision impairment. That’s why we’ve created a Vision Impairment Simulator.
The Simulator depicts several of the leading causes of vision loss, including macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma and cataracts.
See through different eyes as you view a menu, street signs, a face, and other images.
The Simulator is just another way The Sight Center is helping change the way we see vision loss.
Attend A Fundraiser
- July 22 — Blind Wine Event
- September 8 — The Sight Center Open Golf Scramble
- September 23 — Drive-In Designer Purse Bingo
- October 14 —Blind Wine Event
- November 4 — Low Vision Symposium & Tech Fair
- December 9 — Blind Wine Event
Donate An Item
- Gift cards & certificates
- Wine, beer & spirits
- Unique experiences
Adapting to a life without vision takes time, determination, and good instruction. The certified staff at The Sight Center went the extra mile during and after the pandemic:
- Made personal phone calls to 6,396 clients and former clients since March 2020
- Safely reopened the Low Vision Clinic and resumed in-home services by June 15,2020
- Drove 39,116 miles to provide in-home services to clients who do not have their license
- Engaged 528 new clients who took the first steps on their vision loss journey
As we look towards our 100th anniversary, please make your own “once in a century” gift to ensure The Sight Center will be here for future generations.
Development Coordinator & former client